Fly Tying for Guadalupe Trout

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Flies and Tying / Fly Tying for Guadalupe Trout

• Author

I want to tie some flies this season.  What are the must-haves?

November 17, 2018 at 8:06 pm #1776

Hares Ears, Zebra Midges, Eggs Patterns, Wolly Buggers, San Juan Worms.

November 18, 2018 at 7:10 am #1783

has anyone tried swinging tenkara style flies?

November 19, 2018 at 5:52 pm #1992

My producers depend on the style but for nymphing I have a couple.of boxes. Mostly Czech but will mix it up some. 

Ill

December 29, 2018 at 2:06 am #2564

I have been swinging streamers mainly. These have been producing for me.

Fenton-flies streamers

Fenton-flies minnow morsel

Fenton-flies flying turkey

March 8, 2019 at 11:57 am #3926

I’ll throw in a series of simple patterns all tied on size 18 scud hook – gives you the shank of a 20 and the biting gape of a 16.

Swimming BWO, XS copper bead, brown thread, 2 pheasant tail fibers, twisted 2-strand green flashabou, rust dubbing

trailing shuck midge – this one has XS glass bead, black thread,  krystal flash shuck, copper rib

Dave Hughes’ Serendipity – antron fibers below base wrap, clipped when finished, midge lace – killer fly and at least one friend has fished nothing but this fly for a whole season

I need to take more photos, and maybe I will when I tie some flies, but I use variation on  both sparkle nymph and swimming caddis that works for both attractor and weight – S black tungsten cone head and finish the soft hackle behind the cone head – best hook for this is Kamsan Swede 10, which is basically a size 14 sproat hook for the rest of us.  And sorry, this old sparkle nymph photo doesn’t have the cone head

The swimming caddis uses a piece of micro chenille burned to a point for the tail, peacock herl thorax, and soft hackle collar – will probably tie some this weekend, if so, will try to break out the camera, too…

March 10, 2019 at 6:29 pm #3956

here’s what I do with a sparkle nymph now, small tungsten cone head, Kamsan size 10 hook (this is a Swede size, and is closer to a 14) – you can see the gape on the barbless hook is pretty perfect for this.  Since most probably won’t hunt down the Kamsan, a size 14 sproat is also a good hook for this.

I fish it as both my weight and attractor, and last time out, split fish between this and my swimming BWO dropper – the idea is a swimming caddis on the swing

Here’s my bulldog caddis, which uses the same hook and cone head, and fishes in the same spot.

this buck last week took the sparkle nymph on the drift before I reached swing

March 11, 2019 at 4:13 pm #3970

taking my buddy out on a guest pass when we get organized, and he doesn’t fly fish.

So I’m making him up some single-hook, barbless spinners  – the single barbless hook is size 8

a touch of marabou and pheasant rump soft hackle with red and blue accents – the hardware left over from years ago – this is the kind of hardware Cabelas used to sell, and in fact, got their start with

haven’t done this in a dozen years or so, but they came out pretty good

November 8, 2019 at 9:40 pm #6502

Ron, why do you use a cone on your sparkle nymph and Bulldog caddis, instead of a bead?  Thx

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.