Fishing Guad On Blackk Friday 2021

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Trout / Fishing Guad On Blackk Friday 2021

• Author

Hi all,

I’ll be fishing below the lake on the Guad late November, probably Black Friday.  I notice that trout stocking won’t occur until December 4, 2020 (https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/management/stocking/trout_stocking.phtml).

Three questions for you experienced folks:

– Is fishing for trout a week before the stocking pointless, or do I stand a chance to catch anything in late November?

– If I do stand a chance to catch trout in late November, what fly patterns do you recommend?  Perhaps a dropper with a San Juan worm and a nymph with split shot? I’ll be wade fishing.

– If I don’t stand a chance to catch trout, what species should I target—bass?  If so, does the typical rule of poppers in the morning, streamers in the afternoon hold?

Thanks a bunch, all!

November 20, 2020 at 9:51 am #11746

Hi all, bumping this post up. Does anyone have suggestions?

November 20, 2020 at 1:08 pm #11748

Are you a GRTU member?

November 20, 2020 at 2:37 pm #11749

I am not. And I just noticed the typo in the subject line—my apologies!

November 23, 2020 at 10:19 am #11769

The state hasn’t started stocking yet but GRTU has. There are also holdover trout. I find it more difficult early in the year and have heard some early skunk reports from friends but it is not a total waste of time.

Chris Johnson of Living Waters mentioned in his recent online presentation re: the Guad that if he had only two rigs to take to the Guad he would choose:

Orange or peach/yellow (I forget) egg size 16 or 18 as attractor and black with white midge emerge size 18 to 22. OR

Pat’s Rubber Legs (stonefly) size 14 brown or black and CDC pheasant tail or hare’s ear size 18 to 22. OR

mix and match.

I have never fly fished for warmwater species in the trout area no advice there.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.