Floating the river for rainbows

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Trout / Floating the river for rainbows

• Author

I will be taking my colorado pontoon down the guadalupe soon. This is a very new thing for me. I’m looking to be very careful my first trip out. I’m looking for access points and exit points. ” The most managable part of the river possible”

Fishing tips and Safety tips appreciate. Land marks holes ect.

I will be taking my 5wt rod.

Thanks in advance

November 6, 2020 at 11:46 pm #11643

Hey Mackey, (????)

Sorry had to.

Hey man, first and foremost,  keep your vest on no matter how skinny the water is.

Keep everything stored in a position that a tree branch won’t catch your rod tip, and pay extra attention to this, especially starting off.

You row backwards in that thing so there may be a slight learning curve with keeping your drift how you want it. Until you are super comfortable floating it, I would suggest just rowing around and stopping to wade when you want to fish an area.

Another thing to remember is your size. If you are dropping anchor, try not to post up in the middle of a run or you are liable to meet a kayaker or guide raft up.close and personal.

Another good point to keep in mind is that you are on an inflatable, so watch out for abrasive rocks, strainers and sticks with sharp edges among other things. Also keep in mind how high you are sitting above the water, so wind will be a big factor in the amount of rowing effort you are putting forth as well.

November 6, 2020 at 11:47 pm #11644

Mickey, not Mackey… phone autocorrected me. Sorry

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.