Looking forward to throwing streamers on the Guadalupe

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Flies and Tying / Looking forward to throwing streamers on the Guadalupe

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

As we all get ready for a new season of fishing on the Guadalupe, I’m sure we’re all topping off our fly boxes with our favorites… mine is full of streamers ready to go, that’s personally what I enjoy tossing. What’s your style? Nothing more thrilling to me than a trout slamming that streamer and tearing the line off the reel, or watching them chase it down until you fool em into taking hold of that streamer on that final twitch of the line.

October 12, 2018 at 8:04 am #1086

I dig it. I’m a streamer guy too, and I find that I get some funny looks sometimes because everyone is nymph fishing. I just think streamer fishing is more fun, active, and catches larger, quality fish with a great take. I think the nymph guys will catch more fish on a given day, but streamers are my preference.

October 12, 2018 at 8:52 am #1089

I feel like I enjoy streamer fishing more partly because I am more confident in it. I don’t trout fish enough to be really good at nymphing. I have read a lot and watched a ton of videos, but I have never had a killer day with that method. With streamers at least I know what I’m doing!

October 12, 2018 at 2:46 pm #1117

Why not both?! I often carry two rods for that reason, nymph the riffle runs and throw streamers in bigger pools. I got a good system where I can carry a second rod without it getting in the way too much.

Both will produce fish. Hell I even carry some dry flies just in case…

October 13, 2018 at 12:09 pm #1138

I usually start with nymphs but always seem to come back to the streamer. I use the same rod, just carry a second reel with streamer line. With the lower flows, I have been using a floating streamer line.

October 14, 2018 at 7:06 pm #1158

It’ll be streamers for me, I am a new member does anyone in this out fit appreciate a #1 or #2 mepps spinner? I like fly fishing mostly, but do like to conventional fish.

October 14, 2018 at 7:07 pm #1159

It’ll be streamers for me, I am a new member does anyone in this out fit appreciate a #1 or #2 mepps spinner? I like fly fishing mostly, but do like to conventional fish. Is that okay

October 14, 2018 at 7:53 pm #1160

I’m a new member too and I wasn’t sure exactly what a “streamer” was. I Googled and I see that I have a few in my box.

It sure looks like there are dozens of styles of streamers.

I’m assuming that the ones that most closely mimic standard Texas minnows would work best on the Guad or will beasts like the “ONE Sculpin” work just as well?

October 15, 2018 at 9:32 am #1165

The one sculpin will catch. Woolybuggers are a popular pattern as well.

Mepps spinners catch trout but most people would agree that they can do more harm to the fish because of the treble hooks. You will probably kill some fish, and sometimes people catch trout with treble hooks/lures still stuck to their face. I’m not sure if you are breaking any GRTU rules as a member, but its definitely frowned upon.

October 15, 2018 at 10:36 am #1166

I agree that treble hooks are not a very good idea. But, if you like to spin fish, you can get some very effective Japanese small spoons that come with single barbless hooks from Tenkarabum.com. They are, in my view, more effective than streamers.

Alex

October 15, 2018 at 1:53 pm #1170

What is the technique for fishing streamers while fishing the Guadalupe? Toss and wait and watch or strip them in, or what exactly?

October 15, 2018 at 2:39 pm #1173

Drift and twitch, or strip them. Most of the time slow wins the day

October 16, 2018 at 8:45 am #1197

Conventional gear is allowed by GRTU members. I went over this myself when I first introducing my girlfriend to trout fishing. She’s now a fly fishing machine! But like many other new anglers she began with a light action spinning rod and light tackle.

There are regulations to follow though including the use of artificial lures only, with NO SCENT! Bait or scented lures will result in fish swallowing the hook and most likely killing the fish.

Single hooks are highly recommended as treble hooks can often do enough damage to kill a fish even if released. Most lures can easily have the hooks replaced with single hooks.

And as always use a net, keep the fish wet, and quickly release it. Reviving a fish may also be required after a long fight. DO NOT place fish on rocks or dry ground for the sake of a photo.

October 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm #1255

So 2 separate Websites show the Guadalupe is flowing at 697 cfs. What the heck happened?

October 17, 2018 at 7:08 pm #1256

Canyon lake filled up from all the rain so they started releasing more water.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.