Other species: Striper, Carp, Bass

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Warmwater / Other species: Striper, Carp, Bass

• Author

Who on here chases the plentiful other species we have in the Guad? Or any other local water?
    What is your favorite other species? Any experience nymphing a striper, carp or other unexpected(Not redhorse) adventures on the end of your line when not sight casting, or mistaken identity sight casting?

October 30, 2018 at 7:43 am #1469

I’m not sure why you exclude suckers from your list, but they are worthy quarry on the Guadalupe. There are many more suckers than trout in our waters, but we catch many fewer. The clear conclusion is that suckers are much more difficult to entice to a fly than trout, so more of a prize. And they do eat the same sort of small nymphs that we use to catch trout.

Alex

October 30, 2018 at 12:08 pm #1474

Growing up in New Braunfels I have fished the Guadalupe since I was a little kid. I started off fishing with bait, then lures, and now mostly fly fishing. Carp might be the only fish that lives in the river that I have not caught. In recent years, Stripers have become my favorite fish to target on the Guad. There is something special about a Striper slamming a streamer that I love! Unfortunately, they mostly come and go with floods so trout are a close second behind them.

October 30, 2018 at 12:12 pm #1475

On second thought I would also add big Small Mouth. I love targeting them in fast water below rapids. I have caught a few in the 18-inch range that put up a great fight on a 5wt.

October 31, 2018 at 7:40 am #1482

A big smallie or guad on a 5wt is something else!

I excluded suckers because I have them dialed in and almost expect one to suck up my weighted nymph if I get even close to them. Throw a green Eagans Headatand at a red horse and watch the magic. Something about green they love.

October 31, 2018 at 9:09 am #1483

My buddy Ky hooked on to a big gar near Rio Raft last year. They’re in there too.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.