Soft Hackles

• Author

What type of feathers do you prefer for tying soft hackles?

November 1, 2018 at 12:12 pm #1498

If you go to a fly fishing competition and ask the top competitors what they used, you’ll find that a wide range of patterns was successful. What this fact suggests is that, on most days, presentation trumps pattern.

I suggest that you tie one standard pattern in a number of sizes and then focus on presentation.

As to the pattern: try a Walt’s Worm (which is simply dubbing on a hook, with our without a bead).

Alex

November 1, 2018 at 1:48 pm #1500

November 2, 2018 at 8:54 am #1515

Alex as I agree with your statement I don’t think his question was about what are better patterns. That question is on another post.

As far as the OP question about soft hackle feathers, I personally bought a full Hungarian partridge skin. Cost around $4–50 but if I take good care of it, it should provide me with thousands of flies. One skin also gives you plenty of color and size choices of feathers for a variety of applications.You can also by partridge feathers in smaller quantities from hairline and other companies.

Why do I choose partridge? Because that’s what Dave Whitlock would do…

http://davewhitlock.com//www/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/RFSHN-story-and-tying.pdf

November 2, 2018 at 9:05 am #1517

Thanks, Cassio.  I must have replied to the wrong post.

About soft hackle feathers, I love using hen necks.  A few of these provide tons of feather in a kinds of sizes.

Alex

November 22, 2018 at 6:17 pm #2072

I primarily use Starling–but also use partridge or hen neck.   If I’m using Starling and I want a lighter color (sort of a medium to dark gray) for the hackle, I use the lighter color barbs closer to the the base.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.