Swinging wet flies on the Guad?

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Trout / Swinging wet flies on the Guad?

• Author

I had a blast euronymphing the Guad much of the second half of last winter on the Guad, but with the low flows having trouble finding suitable water or even finding many fish in fast water right now.

One thing I have never done on the Guad is swing soft hackles and other wet flies.  How successful is this technique on the Guad? Nymphing has been tougher last few weeks compared to earlier in the season.

February 15, 2021 at 6:19 pm #12210

I’ve had my best luck this year fishing midge larvae (sizes 22 and 24) dead drifted.  Some people swing soft hackles to great effect, but I’ve never done much of that so I can’t help you there.  BTW, I’ve found “floating the sighter” to work well with tiny stuff.

February 16, 2021 at 4:24 pm #12211

Thank you Alex. I haven’t gotten back to working on my floating the sighter thing yet this year since I was first researching it. Keep dragging my euro rod out and not using it. If I want to float the sighter with those tiny midges are just putting a single midge on or something else with it (what?)? Just thinking about what minimal weight it can handle.

February 16, 2021 at 5:25 pm #12212

I’ve only done this once (before it got cold), but I had a really good day.  I rigged two midges Euro style (i.e., one on point, the other on a dropper).  Then, about two feet above the dropper, I add a little bit of tungsten putty (rolled very thin).  The idea comes from Rim Chung and Phil Iwane, two consummate nymph fishermen.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.