Testing recently complete 7 wt fiberglass fly rod on G-Bay

GRTU Member Portal / Forums / Flyfishing / Saltwater / Testing recently complete 7 wt fiberglass fly rod on G-Bay

• Author

Haven’t posted much but figured I would start. I recently completed building a 7 weight fly rod on a Blue Halo 3 piece fiberglass blank. Took it out and tested it. Seems to be a “fish magnet”:)  

November 30, 2018 at 3:19 pm #2181

I bet a good size speck or red would be real fun on a glass rod. What is the cost of building that rod? I’ve been curious about building my own, do you have any recommendation of books, website or other resources.

December 3, 2018 at 4:59 am #2206

Cassio,

The rod is fun to fish and I plan to take it to the Guadeloupe this week to try out.

It cost about $225 for materials to build. I did use titanium stripping guides and Recoil titanium snake guides. The blank is from Blue Halo. They have a website.

There are many websites for materials and info. Just do a search. Fishing Tackle unlimited also has supplies.

Scott

February 18, 2019 at 8:43 am #3421

that came out nice.

I bought one of the CGR 7/8 glass rods for a sit-down quick-shoot kayak rod.

Went through my arsenal of salty lines and found the rod would handle the leader alone and front of and any line in close, was temperamental for shooting line – needed a lot of line, but wouldn’t abide overloading – but it did everything right with my Airflo slime line.  I could have the belly out on the 2nd stroke, and shoot twice the belly on the 3rd.

More testing with Teeny spliced shooting heads (130, 200, 250) nailed it down the rod loaded to shoot perfectly with a 200-gr head, and went searching from there for the perfect floating line.  Found it in Cortland Saltwater Guide WF7F.  I can repeat the 3-stroke drill and get line out to 70′

February 23, 2019 at 6:55 am #3651

Have a cool glass rod to add to this – 1960 Harnell 652, 8′ 7-wt.  This rod was designed by Jim Green before he straightened out Fenwick and went on to Sage legend.  Harnell was the top-grade rod of its day, and you can’t find the quality of this cork on modern rods.

Unfortunately, the period guides won’t let it fish a modern floating line very well – the original condition is too nice to alter – but it sings with a slime line.

October 15, 2019 at 9:42 am #5549

Very nice. I have a Cabelas CGR too. Don’t use it much since I really enjoy fishing with rods I built.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.